Thursday, January 6, 2011

Do Right - Start With Those In The Light

Galatians 6:9-10 (The Message)

So let's not allow ourselves to get fatigued doing good. At the right time we will harvest a good crop if we don't give up, or quit. Right now, therefore, every time we get the chance, let us work for the benefit of all, starting with the people closest to us in the community of faith.

The thought hit me when I heard this passage - why am I pulled to do right to those I don't know more than those I do know, even to them I know are Christians? 

Stay with me on this, people seem to act nice and kind to perfect strangers when passing by, but when we get to know each other a bit more we become so much more critical and opinionated.  It's true of all of us.  Paul says in the vs 10 (above) - 'starting with the people closest to us in the community of faith'.  Why?

Here is what hit me ... remember those nights when we first saw the big beam in the sky as it moved around?  It sometimes had more than one beam dancing in the sky with it.  We were drawn to it - seeking out what it was trying to show us!  Sometimes it was a fun event or a new car - but it drew us near.

In our dark world - lets do right together, first with those who are forgiven like we are in Christ.  Then together, with more light and excitement we can draw others to what Christ is doing in our lives.  It's more powerful and exciting - plus we won't get fatigued doing it all alone.

No comments: